firstname.lastname@example.org | www.getreuer.info
- Solid programming skills C/C++, Python, and MATLAB
- Experience with HTML, LaTeX, Java, C#, SQL, x86 and M68K assembly
- Technologies: OpenCV, FFmpeg, Boost, Win32 API, OpenMP
- Tools: GCC, MSVC, git, Valgrind, Doxygen
Image and signal processing, inverse problems, computational geometry, scientific computing, applications in medicine and biology, software engineering
University of California, Los Angeles
Ph.D in Mathematics
Advisor: Luminita A. Vese, Ph.D Thesis: “Contour Stencils and Variational Image Processing”
University of Colorado, Boulder
Concurrent B.S./M.S. in Applied Mathematics,
magna cum laude
Advisor: François G. Meyer, M.S. Thesis: “ENO Schemes with General Discretizations”
Sr. Software Engineer, Google Research
Software Engineer, Sierra Nevada Corporation
NSF MSPRF Fellow
I was a recipient of the competitive National Science Foundation Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (DMS-1004694), of which about 35 are awarded each year. From Jul 2010 to Jul 2011, I worked at École Normale Supérieure de Cachan (Cachan, France) with mentor J.-M. Morel. From Aug 2011 to Jul 2012, I worked at Yale University with mentor R. Coifman. My activity:
Research Assistant, Placental Analytics, LLC
Placental Analytics is a research company focused on study of the human placenta, directed by Dr. C. Salafia. My role was to develop software to analyze photographs and digitized slide images as well as 3D surface scans. As part of this work, I developed a fast image segmentation method, capable of training from one million samples in under a minute. My responsibilities:
- Leadership position in project coordination
- Collaboration with researchers in medicine, math, physics
- Algorithm development in image processing and computational geometry
- Software development (C, C++, MATLAB on Linux and Windows)
- Data processing (Excel, VBA, SQL)
UCLA Mathematics Department · Los Angeles, CA 90095-1555
Research on variational image techniques and inverse problems with advisor Professor L. Vese.
C++ Software Consultant, Placental Analytics, LLC
I consulted on a digital histology project on analysis of very large (∼50000 × 50000 pixel) images in a modified TIFF format. I implemented the analysis as plugin for Aperio ScanScope using C++ and Win32 API for user interface. I re-implemented the analysis as a standalone program and developed a multi-threaded strategy to improve speed.
HRL Laboratories, LLC. · 3011 Malibu Canyon Road · Malibu, CA 90265-4797
This internship addressed noise and blur problems in millimeter wave imaging. I researched total variation regularized image techniques with mentor P. Saisan.
NSF VIGRE Research
UCB 526 · University of Colorado · Boulder, CO 80309-0526
As an undergraduate researcher, I studied image processing and essentially non-oscillatory multiresolution schemes under the guidance of Professors F. Meyer, J. Curry, and A. Dougherty.
Teaching assistantships at UCLA for the following courses
Lower Division: Introduction to Programming, Calculus, Probability
Upper Division: Applied Numerical Methods, Mathematical Imaging, Optimization
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Graduate Research Training Fellowship
- Mentor Research Fellowship
- Teaching Assistantship
- Dean's Honor Scholarship
- UCB VIGRE Undergraduate Research
- Heaviside Wealth Management Award for Outstanding Graduate Research
- SAMPTA Young Researchers Scholarship
- SPIE Student Travel Grant
- UCB Outstanding Senior for Research Excellence
- Math Contest in Modeling 2006 highest “outstanding” rank, MAA
prize, SIAM prize
- Math Contest in Modeling 2005 highest “outstanding” rank
- Math Contest in Modeling 2004 highest “outstanding” rank, MAA prize
- P. Getreuer, “A Survey of Gaussian Convolution Algorithms,” Image Processing On Line, 2013. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2013.87.
- L. Yang, P. Getreuer, L. Zhou, “Sparse-view cone beam CT reconstruction via previous normal dose scan induced BM3D-frame regularization method,” Fully Three-Dimensional Image Reconstruction in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, 2013.
- A. Chen, A. L. Bertozzi, P. D. Ashby, P. Getreuer, Y. Lou, “Enhancement and Recovery in Atomic Force Microscopy Images,” in Excursions in Harmonic Analysis, Volume 2, T.D. Andrews, R. Balan, J.J. Benedetto, W. Czaja, K.A. Okoudjou (Eds.), Birkhäuser Basel, pp. 311–332, 2013.
- R. Seong, P. Getreuer, Y. Li, T. Girardi, C.M. Salafia, D.D. Vvedensky, “Statistical Geometry and Topology of the Human Placenta,” Advances in Applied Mathematics, Modeling, and Computational Science, Fields Institute Communications, vol. 66, pp. 187–208, 2013.
- N. Limare, L. Oudre, P. Getreuer, “IPOL: Reviewed publication and public testing of research software,” IEEE 8th International Conference on E-Science, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- Y. Li, C.M. Salafia, O. Shlahkter, P. Getreuer, D. Misra, P. Katzman, L. Ruffolo, J. Moye, Vanguard Sites National Children’s Study, “The Chorionic Surface Vascular Network in Human Placentae: What Can be Measured and Does It Matter?,” Placenta, vol. 33, no. 9, p. A21, 2012.
- P. Getreuer, “Automatic Color Enhancement (ACE) and its fast implementation,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-ace.
- P. Getreuer, “Chan–Vese Segmentation,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-cv.
- P. Getreuer, “Total Variation Inpainting using Split Bregman,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-tvi.
- P. Getreuer, “Total Variation Deconvolution using Split Bregman,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-tvdc.
- P. Getreuer, “Rudin–Osher–Fatemi Total Variation Denoising using Split Bregman,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-tvd.
- P. Getreuer, “Image Demosaicking with Contour Stencils,” Image Processing On Line, 2012. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2012.g-dwcs.
- P. Getreuer, “Contour Stencils: Total Variation along Curves for Adaptive Image Interpolation,” SIAM J. Imaging Sci., vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 954–979, 2011.
- P. Getreuer, “Linear Methods for Image Interpolation,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_lmii.
- P. Getreuer, “Roussos–Maragos Tensor-Driven Diffusion for Image Interpolation,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_rmdi.
- P. Getreuer, “Zhang–Wu Directional LMMSE Image Demosaicking,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_zwld.
- P. Getreuer, “Gunturk–Altunbasak–Mersereau Alternating Projections Image Demosaicking,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_gapd.
- P. Getreuer, “Image Interpolation with Geometric Contour Stencils,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_igcs.
- P. Getreuer, M. Tong, L. Vese. "A Variational Model for the Restoration of MR Images Corrupted by Blur and Rician Noise," Proceedings of ISVC, Part I, LNCS 6938, 2011.
- P. Getreuer, “Malvar–He–Cutler Linear Image Demosaicking,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_mhcd.
- P. Getreuer, “Image Interpolation with Contour Stencils,” Image Processing On Line, 2011. DOI:10.5201/ipol.2011.g_iics.
- P. Getreuer, “Color Demosaicing with Contour Stencils,” Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing (DSP2011), 2011.
- N. Almoussa, B. Dutra, B. Lampe, P. Getreuer, T. Wittman, C. Salafia, L. Vese,
“Automated Vasculature Extraction from Placenta Images,” Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 7962, 2011.
- P. Getreuer, “Image zooming with contour stencils,” Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 7246, 2009.
- P. Getreuer, “Contour stencils for edge-adaptive image interpolation,” Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 7257, 2009.
- P. Getreuer and F. G. Meyer, “ENO Multiresolution Schemes with General Discretizations,” SIAM J. Numer. Anal. vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2953-2977. 2008.
- P. Getreuer, A.M. Albano, and A. Muriel, “Possibility of Turbulence
from a Post-Navier-Stokes Equation,” Physics Letters A, vol. 366, pp. 101–104.
- B. Camley, P. Getreuer, and B. Klingenberg, “Sprinkle, Sprinkle,
Little Yard (Study on irrigation),” The UMAP
Journal, vol. 27, no. 3. 2006.
- B. Camley, P. Getreuer, and B. Klingenberg, “For Whom the Booth
Tolls (Study on traffic flow),” The UMAP
Journal, vol. 26, no. 3. 2005.
- B. Camley, P. Getreuer, and B. Klingenberg, “Not Such A Small Whorl
After All (Study on fingerprint uniqueness),” The UMAP
Journal, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 245–258. 2004.
IPOL Technical Team
Provide technical assistance for the journal Image Processing On Line.
UCLA Applied Math REU Mentor
Assisted Professors T. Wittman and L. Vese in mentoring a team of undergraduate students in a medical imaging research project.
MATLAB File Exchange
Contributing author on the MATLAB File Exchange and member of the File Exchange Review Team 2005–2006. This web resource provides publicly available materials for many areas of science and mathematics.
Colorado Space Grant Consortium
Developed methods for stereoscopic imaging and parallax correction with the DINO Satellite Science Team.
Medical and Education Research Institution of Colorado
(MERIC, Colorado Springs) Assisted director Dr. J. Elias with programming and algorithms for modeling patellofemoral cartilage.
- International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science: Waterloo, July 25–29, 2011 (invited speaker)
- 17th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing: Corfu, Greece, July 6–8, 2011
- Joint Mathematical Meeting, San Francisco, January 13–16, 2010
- Random Shapes '09: UCLA Lake Arrowhead Center, December 6–11, 2009 (invited speaker)
- Sampling Theory and Applications '09:
Marseille, May 18–22, 2009 (invited speaker)
- IS&T/SPIE Computational Imaging VII:
San Jose, California, January 18–22, 2009
- IS&T/SPIE VCIP:
San Jose, California, January 18–22, 2009
Manuscript reviewer for
- Applied Numerical Mathematics
- Bentham Science Publishers
- Circuits, Systems & Signal Processing
- Digital Signal Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
- Image Processing On Line
- International Journal of Computer Vision
- International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology
- Journal of Computer Science and Technology
- Journal of Electronic Imaging
- Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision
- Journal of Scientific Computing
- Journal of Zhejiang University Science Computers & Electronics
- Methods and Applications of Analysis
- SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences